Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Standing Ovation

I was working in Canada as a Product Manager in 1991. The factory that produce the products I was responsible for was shutdown. I was new in the job for only 3 to 4 months. It was a huge undertaking. I have to move C$18million worth of business to new supplier in less than 3 months. Two other product managers, Gail Vincent and Ron Davis was in the same boat as I. Gail has tubes i.e. plastic tubes use for suctioning and Ron has cotton guazes and underpads. It was a harrowing year for us. I was in meetings all day and have 50 messages at the end of the day. Listening to all my messages take more than an hour! I have to talk to suppliers, respond to sales reps, make there is right inventory, update all my bosses on the progress of the change, etc...

Glenn Sosney was my inventory analyst. He was instrumental in my success. He was very good with Excel and numbers. He works hard and is very responsive. There are many time where I go to him and request for information with very short deadlines. He came through for me.

At the end of the first year, I managed to save 85% of my disposable tray business. The highest percentage among the three product managers. My product line was also the most complicated.

During Annual Sales Meeting, we were all presented with an award to recognise our efforts in The Brantford Project. As I go up the stage to receive my award, the audience stood up and clapped for a long time. It was embarrassing yet exhilarating. The memory of this evening was etch in my mind forever.

No comments: