Monday, May 15, 2006

Managing Oneself

This is my summary of one of Peter Drucker's book. We are all knowledge worker today.... Peter Drucker basically has very sound advice and we just need to answers the right questions.

Knowledge Worker

- Have to place themselves where they can make the greatest contribution
- Learn to stay young and mentally alive during a fifty-year working life
- Learn how and when to change what they do
- How to do it
- When to do it

New Demands

- Who Am I?
- What Are My Strengths?
- How Do I Work?
- Where Do I Belong?
- What Is My Contribution?
- Have to take Relationship Responsibility
- Plan for the Second Half of Their Lives

What are my Strengths

- One cannot build performance on Weakness
- The Feedback Analysis – whenever there is a key decision or action, write down what one expects will happen. 9 to 12 months later feedback the results to one’s expectations
- Concentrate on one’s strengths
- Work on improving your strengths
- Intellectual arrogance causes disabling ignorance
- What not to do
- Waste as little effort as possible on improving areas of low competence

From Competent to Star…

- How Do I Perform?
- Am I a Reader or a Listener?
- How Do I Learn?
- What Are My Values?
- Where Do I Belong?
- What Is My Contribution?
- It is not “What Do I want to Contribute?”
- Nor “What am I told to Contribute?”
- It is “What Should I Contribute?”
- Where and How Can I have results that make a difference?


Management Challenges for the 21st Century by Peter Drucker.

No comments: