Monday, September 14, 2026

Hangzhou and Shanghai

 My maiden trip to Hangzhou!  The weather was warm and not too hot when we arrived at Hangzhou.  We reached about 11pm and by time we reached Merchant Marco it was past midnight.  Everything was closed.  Luckily, there was 7 eleven and Lawson nearby and we managed to get some snacks to eat!  Yes, flying budget is same as flying in the old days!  Life is a circle!!!  I recalled flying this way when I first started flying in 1984.  I brought books to read.  International flights has food and drinks service.  All domestic flights do not have any food or drinks at all especially in US.  I recall it was same as taking publice transport like bus.  Get up, sit down and wait till you reached your destination.  Then you get off.


Hangzhou is new city with all the High Tech companies headquarters like Alibaba.  The didi or ride hailing is very inexpensive.    The food is very affordable.  I love the market!  Grocery at a fraction of our prices and very fresh.  Also the cooked food e.g. braised duck looked absolutely delicious and only 48 RMB per duck. Or less than 10 Sin dollar!!! Lots of pastries and bread.  It is an amazing place to live.  This food is quite diverse.  But western-style resturants are few and in between.  Then again pao and wa tie(moon shaped dumplings) are everywhere.  We also tried the bbq mutton sticks. Yum Yum:)


High speed train from Hangzhou to Shanghai is fast and convenient.  The ride is about 45mins.  It used to be 2 hours by taxi.  

Shanghai!  The mega city!  It is very convenient to get around.  We took metro everywhere.    Our hotel/apartment is right where the food street is.  We stay at Zhong San Garden.  Metro 2 line is a great place to stay in.  We are very near the pedestrian mall or Nanjing Rd E. It is wonderful to visit the place after more than 15 years.  I used to stay in Radisson Hotel which is the start of pedestrian mall.








No comments: