Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Painful Road to Recovery

Kidney Stones condition is one of the most painful medical conditions anyone can get!!  Just Google "kidney stones" and this statement consistently come up.  This is what I am having right now.  It is seems to be genetically predisposed and diet play an important part.

I had 3 stones removed two days ago.  In public hospitals, they will insert a Double J Stent.  This is a tube with 2 coils at the end.  One coil will go to the kidney and the other coil is at the bladder.  Hence double J.  The stent is to keep my ureter patent or open after the ureteroscope traumatize the ureter after it travel to the kidney with a basket to pull the stones out.

So every time I go to the washroom to relieve my full bladder, it is painful at the abdomen where the stent is residing.  The pain will travel all the way to the kidney.  On top of that, I had to drink plenty of water to clear the kidneys of any remnant of the stones.  Just imagine have to go to pass urine more frequently to keep the kidneys clear.  Every time it is painful.  So, more frequent than usual visits increase frequency of pain episode every day!

I am looking forward to the day the stent is removed.  I requested as early as possible.  The surgeon want to keep for 2 weeks.  I begged and begged and he decided 9 days instead even though I wanted to get it out in a week.

I am glad to remove the stones.  The largest stone is like a stag horn.  It blocked the ureter and cause ureter colic which is more painful than childbirth.

Right now, I am taking it easy and improving day by day.  I should back to normal maybe a week or two after my D J stent removed.  I am looking forward to this day!

2 comments:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

BL hope by now you have recovered. Can imagine how much pain
you have endured. Take good care of yourself and drink more
water and eat less salty food.

BookLover said...

Thanks, BT