Saturday, October 06, 2018

Tiger Woods Spine Surgery

The news about Tiger Woods winning his tournament after his back surgery makes me feel brave to go for the spine surgery which can improve my backache.  My L4 and L5 have shifted and is pressing on the nerves.  I have been doing exercises and it does work for a while.  Unfortunately, I do not have to discipline to keep up with it especially since I have muscle aches which means I take rest for a couple of days to recover.  However, I forget to go back to the exercises once I stopped.  It is poor discipline.  The other issue is I have seen the x-rays and MRI and maybe is convince that it is nearly impossible to fix by exercise.

So I decided to bite the bullet and go for the surgery.  The surgeon explained that it will take him all day.  This sounds scary.  It means I will be on GA or general anesthesia for all day.  Even after one hour of GA, the effects takes as long as one week to clear up.  I had that experience as the body will take time to clear them off the system.

I think with the surgery which will take 6 months to recover will improve my ability to exercise properly and throw my cast net better.

Tiger Woods had anterior lumbar interbody fusion (ALIF).  I will have a more complex with 2 vertebra hold together by screws and wire.  The implant alone cost $15,000.  It take about 4 weeks to be relieve of pain from the surgery and 6 weeks of no twisting or lifting of heavy weights.

2 comments:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

All the best my friend, hope all ends well.

BookLover said...

Thanks, BT. Still a few weeks to go...