Saturday, August 19, 2017

Barramundi aka Asian Seabass

I have been casting net in Punggol for a year now.  The reason to use cast net is many times there are no small fishes along the beach and I go home empty handed.  I bought a 7 feet cast net and it helps me have higher chance of catching fishes that are bigger.  Sometimes, too many fishes and I have to spend much time to disentangle them.  I throw most of them back to the sea as my arowana cannot eat so much at one go and the fishes will die and cause bad smells.  Sometimes, I caught fairly large mullets about 4 to 6 ins long.  I release them as the arowana is not able to swallow this size.

Yesterday morning at about 8am, I cast the net at a place which usually has small size mullets.  I caught two Barramundi together they weigh 968grams.  The fishes are also known as Asian Seabass or kim bak law in Hokkien.  It is such an exhilarating experience.  This is the first time I can bring the fishes I caught home as food.  I had baby shrimps before.

So many times, the fishermen at Punggol asked me what I do with the small fishes I caught.  They know it is impossible to eat them.  I always have the same response - live seafood for my arowana.

My wife clean up the fishes this evening.  Maybe tomorrow we can steam them up for dinner.

No comments: