Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Comfort Place

The wet market is ho hum of daily life.  The butchers are cutting out their pig and sorting out the different cuts.  The poultry stalls are wet and chickens lay out neatly.  Vegetable sellers are bundling out the vegetable so that the price is $1, $2 or $3 making it a quick sale rather the weighing out each purchase.  Beside the wet market is the hawker center.  Cooked food vendors are busy serving.

After sending my boy to school, I like to go to the hawker center and have a cup of tea.  I just sit and absorb in the ongoing scene.  Somehow, I find it comforting to be in a busy, noisy, messy and a little dirty hawker center.  In Canada, the first thing I do when I wake up is to boil water and make myself a cup of tea.  But I do not have the luxury of going to a market.  I have to sit in my own dining room or kitchen and it is me and myself.  Sometimes, I will go to a Tim Hortons which has great coffee at a reasonable price i.e. similar to our kopitiam.  In Canada, no savory breakfast.  Only sweet stuff like donuts or muffins at reasonable price.  Savory breakfast is sandwich at $4 or $5.  Who wants to pay so much for two slices of bread with something in-between?

Hawker/street food is a great Asian invention.  The variety, taste and choice are much better than the Western countries.  I enjoys our simple hawker place where food and price are reasonable.

No comments: