Friday, September 16, 2016

Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy

I always had kidney stones.  My classmate who is an urologist told me it is ok to leave the stones there if they do not cause trouble.  I had low backache since army days.  Sometimes, I am not sure if it is backache or pain due to the stones.


So my urologist suggest I blast the stones as they can cause trouble if I am travelling or in the airplane.  He had that experience!  So knowing how intense the pain is, I decided to go for the ESWL   The shockwave will break up the stones. 


Yesterday, early in the morning I check in to Geneagles.  The procedure starts at 9am but I have to check in at 7am.  Geneagles is slow in processing paper work compared to ME Novena.  B1 just need to check in 1 hour before. 


The process is simple, I am sedated using Propofol and some painkillers.  Then a technician will use the soundwave machine and shoot the energy into my kidney.  Tat-tat-tat can be heard.  It is sharp pain in the kidney.  I have to breathe shallowly.  But due to the sedation, I drifted into unconsciousness.  The technician will wake me up to make sure I do not breathe too deeply as the kidney will move as I breathe.


Halfway, through I said pain and the technician call out loudly to the anesthetist to give me painkiller.  The zapping limit is 120 joules.  The urologist just give instruction to the technician on how much energy on each stone.  Middle pole is the biggest, so it get more energy.  I had a total of 3 poles which means 3 stones.on my left kidney.


By 2:30pm, I am allowed to check out.


After the ESWL, I pee out bloody urine.  It is dark red.  By evening time, it turned grey meaning my left kidney has started to clot up.

3 comments:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Speedy recovery is my pray for you BL. So sad life is full
of pain and miseries at time.

BookLover said...

Thanks, BT. This is elective meaning I chose to go. So it is fine.

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Oops I meant "my prayer" for you BL.