Saturday, February 06, 2016

The Night Before NY's Eve

The markets, hawker centers and supermarkets are going crazy.  The queues are long and the wait is longer.  Many are laden with huge amount of stuff.  Everyone is celebrating and welcoming the Year of Monkey.  B1 is born in the year of Monkey.  I did not know it is a popular year to have babies. 

I bought chicken yesterday and I used the bones to boil soup using my cast iron pot.  The bones were simmered for hours yesterday and today.  It is actually quite tasteless but the soup is thick!  I added a can of abalone, a few Canadian scallops and a pack of shark fins.  The soup tastes heavenly.  No shame to boast my own cooking.  B3 was telling us during dinner how his classmate, best friend and strong competitor in class had Buddha Jumps over the Wall for lunch and dinner.  Mummy immediately told him the soup he is drinking is Buddha Jumps over the Wall.

It is so easy to make soup.  Only thing is I am not like my wife, she will filter out all the sediments and clear the flotsam.  So her soup is very clean and clean tasting.  I like cook mine with all the oil, floating bits and meat that sticks to the bone boiled tender left in the soup.  I have a super thick soup that you can eat rather than a strong broth.  My boys think the soup is good or okay.  I love the positive feedback.

No comments: