Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Day Before Christmas Eve

My electric assist bike from Sanyo is totally rusty from sea water.  I transport the fishes I caught in a plastic bottle and they spills the sea water when I hit bumps.  The drive chain has fused in some area.  I tried to use WD 40 it helps but now it is easy for the chain to come off.  Because there is a cover, it is impossible to fix back.  So I had walk back home pushing my disabled bike. 

I spent a couple of hours trying to fix the chain.  I had to remove the cover which was fine but the anchoring screw is corroded.  So I tried hammering the screw after WD40 and it still did not work.  Finally, I cut it using a hacksaw which I bought from a makeshift stall in front of ACE Hardware in 1 Utama.  This hacksaw is wonderful.  It has a diamond file.  I must say it is good to have to right tool to work with.

In the evening, I decided to check how much it cost to replace the chain at the bikeshop in Sengkang Swimming Pool.  It costs only $18 and the guy who replaces my chain is an expert.  He did in half an hour.  So I have a new chain and now my bike works like new!

No comments: