Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Reflection: Am I better Now Than 8 years Ago?

Life has ups and downs.  We all know this.  Overall, the trend should be an improvement.  Why?  Because as an employee, we have to grow our employer's sales, profits and customer base.  We have economic growth as a country. 

Singapore has achieve the GDP growth in the past 8 years.  Most of our employers have grown their business for the past 8 years.  Our disposable income has not grown.  Our job insecurity has grown dramatically.  Our pro-business policies protect the employers and leave me vulnerable.  To fight any unjust dismissal I have to pay the lawyer with my own money to sue my employer.  Who can afford to do this?

I am unable to unlock my CPF.  So as I reflect on this question, the answer is not straightforward.  But it is clear.  With influx for foreign immigrants, our common space has strunk.  Our ability to communicate in local dialects or English in the F&B outlets is limited.  The doctors treating me in the hospitals do not understand me.

So I know I am not better than 8 years ago.

1 comment:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

That's terrible cos even the doctors in Singapore cannot communicate with us Singaporeans? Are we living in our country or somewhere else?