Sunday, August 10, 2014

Social Compact

I remembered The Straits Times columnist Chua Mui Hoong wrote about social compact between the government and the governed.  I belong to the governed.  Recently, the little guy who managed to rock Singapore and stirred big shit has caused the government to react and talk a lot giving plenty of assurance and to me full of mambo jumbo as I have no clue what was said except to ensure I am continued to be kept in the dark about CPF.

On the TV, a man dressed as a woman prance and dance as he sings.  It is advertisement for the pioneer package which luckily I am not qualified(means I am young!). Then there is communication on Medishield Life which says "oh it is easy, you just have to fill up God knows how many forms and authorised the hospital to make the claims for you".

Frankly, all this befuddles me.  Why as a citizen, my IC cannot confer automatic rights to healthcare?  Why must I authorized someone to claims from my "insurance"?  Why is it where I live determines the level of subsidies?  A citizen is a citizen is it not??

My youngest boy had fever two days ago.  We gave him extra strength Tyernol but have little effects.  So on National Day, we brought him to Mount Elizabeth Novena for treatment.  A neighbour recommended as it is reasonable price and waiting time is short.  The waiting time is at a reasonable half an hour.   The doctor saw him and did a swab test.  We have to wait for 15mins for the test results.  It was confirmed he has Influenza A.  So the doctor prescribed Tamiflu.

The bill for seeing a doctor for flu is $294!!!  To say we are shocked is an understatement.

Who can afford to visit doctor?  I know it is a private hospital but the bill will be about $150 if we were in a restructured hospital and then we get generic drug and no test will be done or Tamiflu prescribed. 

The leader of our government publicly stated he wants to attract more billionaires to the country.  How will our millions of average wage earning citizens be able to afford healthcare?

No comments: