Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Quest for Happiness

10 people strike Toto $10million draw.  Each gets more than a million.  I bought a ticket too but did not get any numbers at all.  I wonder how happy the winners are.  I was hoping to be one too.  It was fun to have hope for a day or two.  We can only buy only just before the draw.  No advance purchase is allowed in Toto.  Only for the coming draw.  I invested quite a lot of money to buy 5 numbers ticket instead of my usual 6 numbers which cost a single dollar.  What the heck, it is only once a year you get the Hong Bao draw.  Although I did not get my wish of $10million or even a single dollar and actually losing $20 to Singapore Pools, I was disappointed but not unhappy.  I had purchase hope for a couple of days.  It was exciting thrill and fun to be in the game.

According to Professor Daniel Gilbert, a year after winning lottery and a year after losing a limb or two, people have the same level of happiness as before the life changing event.  You can see his talk in TED. 

So chasing for more money does not make a person happier.  I have started to follow this research finding and began to seek more fulfillment by making food for my boys to bring to school.  I feel like an artist when I assemble my sandwich this morning.  I love making healthy and tasty food for my boys to bring to school.

No comments: