Friday, December 20, 2013

So You Loved Your Wife?

Last night during dinner conversation, my host asked where would I like to go for vacation?  I thought for a while and said home.  He looked surprised and asked "So You Loved Your Wife?"  I was stunned and did not answer.  So he asked again.  Then the 3rd time.  I realised I did not answer him.  I was too stunned and did not understand his question.  Today, my boss told me why.  Loving your wife is not a requisite in Japan.  Marriage is about duty, family, business and social norms are different.  Love marriages in not so common for men close to my age in Japan. 

Like LKY said "In the West, you marry the woman you love.  In the East, you love the woman you marry."  I guess Singaporeans are westernised ahead of times.  We marry for love.

2 comments:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

That's what we think...haha

BookLover said...

You are right! Maybe our wives marry for other reasons...