Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Life in a Village

I wonder how it is like to live a simple life in a village.  Watching the TV programs about Chinese villagers who go to the factories in the cities to work.  They all missed the simple life but most do not wished to go back.  Off all the interviewees, only one woman returned to the village.  The village life is simple.  Just doing simple chores and talking to friends and neighbours.  Life would be boring, very boring.  It is enticing to embrace a simple way of life, yet I know when I am on holiday, I am bored to tears as I am not the adventurous nor touristy type.  I just stay in the hotel to watch tv or walk around the surrounding area.  I rarely venture out by taxi or trains.

So I know I want a simple life in a village or do I really want a simple life in a village?  I can't grow my own vegetables well.  I will starve to death if I have to live off the land.  Yet, at times, I am weary of the hustle and bustle of city life.  I know I cannot live without going to Kinokuniya regularly.  I need my cafe fix and resturant fix and window shopping fix and just plain plenty of street food fix.  I think I am addicted to city life.  I wish I can the best of both world.

I think a big country like Thailand can offer the both.  Bangkok has everything a big city offers.  The country is quite competitive in cost.  It will be a fabulous place to retire.  I am envious of people living in a big country.  There is a choice of rat race or opting out and be a slow tortoise.  In Singapore, there is no other choice.  Only one lifestyle with a govt exhorting us to work harder all the time.

No comments: