Saturday, September 08, 2012

20 years old leaving Singapore

The article posted by Yahoo! caught my interest.  The letter by zing is articulate and touching.  It was reposted by you don't have to agree and there are plenty of comments which is interesting reading.

This bring memories of why I left Singapore and live in Canada.  I did not leave Singapore because I was disillusioned by the pragmatism or just chasing after jobs, careers or money as many of the Singaporean youths are feeling today.  Nor did I leave because of the tight controls Singapore government impose on every aspect of citizen's life. 

I left because I want to experience living in different country.   Many youths on the says they love the warts and failings of other city they are living or going to live.  There is nowhere that will fit into all our ideal lifestyle.    We have to experience different lifestyle in the different countries or cities to know and understand and then to love. 

Singapore really have very little in terms range of lifestyles as it is a city-state.  There is no rural community or different cities in the country to move to.  You can only move from Ang Mo Kio to East Coast or Jurong.  There are regional differences but it is impossible to experience a significant lifestyle difference.  Singapore does not has enough space to have a couple more Bollywood farms.  Kampong Buangkok is so tiny and will likely be gone once the owner who is single and about 60 years old pass on.

So to all the youths of Singapore who are disillusioned and want to move on to another country.  I would say "go forth and experience something else".  You are in the prime of life and it is time to broaden your horizon.  The world is your oyster.  Make the world a better place.  You may return to Singapore like I do or if you love your new home, live there.  I may go back to live in Canada when I retire.  It is a good country and take good care of seniors.

No comments: