Friday, July 06, 2012

Open Heart Surgery

My father-in-law had a triple bypass and valve repair at the National Heart Center on Wednesday afternoon.  He had a IABP after the surgery to help his heart recover.  IABP or intra-aortic balloon pump was removed at lunch time today.  Ventilator was removed yesterday morning.  He is making progress and step-by-step the instrumentations was slowly removed from him. 

My brother had his bypass operation probably a year ago now at the same place.  It seems like many bypass are done everyday.  All the patients are men.  Both times when I vist the CTICU, I have not seen any female patients.  Blockage of coronary arteries is a man's disease.

My mother-in-law spend the whole day in hospital waiting for her husband.  She is amazingly devoted.  She goes to the hospital early in the morning and return late everyday.  All she does is sitting at the waiting area all by herself just for a few minutes with her husband.

My youngest sister-in-law's husband and I visited our father-in-law at same time during lunch today.  I joked with my mother-in-law that she has two good son-in-laws. 

No comments: