Friday, May 06, 2011

An Anonymous Reader Asked

I reproduced the comment below:

Hi. I read that you were living in Canada for 7 years before moving back to Singapore. Do you mind sharing the reason? Is it due to the high income tax in Canada? Many thanks...

My Answer:
I actually lived in Canada twice for a total of 7 years. Immigrating and living in a foreign country is very difficult in the beginning. There are lots of adjustments. Going over there as a student and then finding a job is different. It is nice to live in a country with four seasons and different lifestyle and culture. Canada is a great country and a good place to live and raise kids. It is a little backward relative to Singapore in material things. But family life, friends and lots of recreation more than make up for all the "toys" and designer clothing.

High income tax and consumption tax is one reason to leave. Long and bitter winter is the other commonly cited reason. Another reason is career advancement. The key reason I move back to Singapore is my wife wanted to return home to be closer to her family.

No comments: