Sunday, March 20, 2011

No TV

I have been living without a TV since Thursday. Without the frequent news update, I feel a lot calmer as well. Reading the papers evoke different emotions from watching videos of the Japan's disaster. Sumiko Tan writes excellent prose. I like a couple of the phrases from today's Sunday Times article "A bitter winter wind" which I will reproduce below:
"Because I am half-Japanese, I view Japan with sympathetic eyes. But because I 'm also Singaporean, I regard it from a stranger's distance."
"Their culture emphasises civility and courtesy, which means you get the constant howing and thank yous and sorrys. But there's always a sense of reserve and distance. Japanese people aren't big on hugging, touching or kissing. Yet they don't blink an eye about stripping down in front of each other at hot springs, and erotic magazines are easily available."
The previous paragraph reminds me a saying a friend's mother told him about Japanese "Courtesous but no idea of shame". Chinese women are very modest about their physical body.
As I read and reflected, I find that I am more emotionally stable and not torn by the helplessness of my inability to help a fellow man in their distress.

No comments: