Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chasing Rabbits

The article in Straits Times discuss what a bankrupt country like America should do. The recommendations make sound judgement. As I read the article, it remind me of the book on Lee Kuan Yew by Tom Plate. The author, Michael Mandelbaum, is professor of American foreign policy at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies. The article is titled Rules for a frugal superpower. I really like Rule 2: Concentrate on elephants.
"DON'T chase the rabbits," an old saying has it, "because if you chase the rabbits, the elephants will kill you."
My favorite story in Tom Plate's book is LKY was meeting Jimmy Carter in the White House. After the pleasantries, Jimmy asked him why do you want I-Hawks? LKY has no clue what JC is referring to. Jimmy explained Improved Hawks. Your military wants to purchase from US. LKY responds was well my military must have felt we needed it. But if you have an issue, no big deal. We can always buy it from the Britain. Jimmy went to ask and discuss with him a long list of items. All inconsequential. He felt the meeting with Jimmy was a total waste of time.

Chasing rabbits is focusing on small details. The Elephants are the big strategic issues. I try to do this at work. Focussing on the big picture and big issues. This way our business will be in a strong position.

No comments: