Sunday, August 15, 2010

ST Editorial August 14

I have been derelict in my resolution to summarize the editorial of Straits Time regularly to improve my English. I am writing more recently due to my excitement in the changes in my job and discovering my nieces. The emotional rush is hard to describes in words.

Anyway, I read the editorial in the Straits Times yesterday and a couple of points caught my attention. Title: Youth Olympics: A time to fly. The inaugural Youth Olympics, first games is host by Singapore. There are the usual songs and dance and fireworks. The amount Singapore is spending on the event is $390 million is three times the initial estimate.

"Like music, the essence of sport is transcendental, lifting participants and spectators to a higher, even spiritual plane." I am not a sportman nor an avid sports fan. No World Cup, no Wimbledon, no Thomas Cup, no, no, NO! I have no interest. I enjoys cycling and swimming to exercise and keep fit. I read top athletes do get in "flow" or heighten state of spirituality. I do not think cheering fans will get into "spiritual plane".

I like, however, the example that disprove Hitler's assumptions of Aryan superiority. Jesse Owens the black American who won four gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics is the standard example. I did not read enough sports history to know this. It is sometime new I learn reading the editorial.

The editor is also modest... he says by some measures, Singapore is the best country in Aisa in which to live, work and play. I would says after travelling in Asia for 22 years, it is the best city by a long way.

I am happy to live here and raise my family. It is safe with high standard of living and low taxes. The school system is a pressure cooker and job market is fiercely competitive since it is an open market for global talent. I am lucky to be born in Singapore.

No comments: