Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Simple Life

I was chatting (Instant Messaging) with my Taiwanese colleague today. We have to do an IDP or Individual Development Plan. She was trying to figure out what she likes to do with her career. She come from a well-off family that start out poor. She is single and on the lookout for her true love.

She asked would ask "promote" myself i.e. sell myself to the senior management. I was young and ambitious. Today, I still have the drive and ambition. However, my values remains. One of them is not to "manage upwards". I worked hard and work my team hard. I run the business well and expect my results and performance to sell my capabilities. Just because I am a better mousetrap does not mean the world will beat to my doorstep.

Today, I value a simple life where family occupies my thoughts more and spending quantity time with my family. I still spend a significant amount of time away from home. My boys have grown. I still perform my work well and do the best I can. However, my tolerance for incompetence has increased and maybe it is due to maturity and aging. I am a lot more patient nowadays.

A simple life does not mean no stress. However, it is a lot less complicated and easier to fall asleep at night. I am glad I do not worry about the intrigues that others in the company are engaged in. They must have spend a lot of time figuring out all the different iterations and possibilities of actions and reactions from their peers, superiors and subordinates. Many do thrive on power and getting others to do their bidding.

I opt for a life where my conscience is clear and enjoys simple pleasures.

No comments: