Saturday, July 24, 2010

Opportunities Seekers vs Problem Solvers

Today is the presentation ceremony for PSC scholars. The Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean says the traditional PSC scholars are good problem solvers. In today's changing world, however, he want to future PSC scholars be an opportunities seekers and be able to deal with issues that is global in nature like the eruption of the volcano in Iceland disrupting air travel. It is about anticipating future unknown issues and having the resilient to deal with issues at global scale.

Opportunity seeking is a real challenge. I can solve problems and turnaround poor unprofitable business. However, when it come to figuring out new opportunities or creating new markets, I am poor. I feel so inadequate and incompetent especially since a couple of young kids can be billionaires by writing software(Bill Gates) or develop search engine (Serge) and youtube and facebook.

Luckily for me, I am happy with my lot although I do wish I am a multi-billionaire!

No comments: