Monday, May 24, 2010

Reading Advantage

Books in India are a lot cheaper than anywhere I visited. Granted, I have not been to a lot of places less travelled. I noticed there are plenty of bookstores around. In the domestic airport in Mumbai, there were 3 bookstores inside the passenger gates. In the hotels, there is a bookstore. What surprises me is the price is still low in the hotel store.

With such an abundance and easily available coupled with low cost, it is no wonder India has a strong advantage in English language. There must be a big market for printed books as well. By the way, the quality of paper the books are printed on has improved as well. I still have a copy of a book on vocabulary bought in India many years ago. Actually it is with my brother-in-law now. He must have borrowed it from me in Canada.

No comments: