Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Change

The landscape in Singapore is always changing. The malls are also changing. It is very confusing for me to go the Northpoint and the configuration today is so different from the time I lived there 12 years ago.

I grew up in Blk 46, Strathmore Ave. Today, all the buildings are new and much taller. There are some remanents of the past like a short wall between the road and the field. Other than that, it is hard for me to recall the place I grew up in. The sense of belonging is severely weaken by the lack of signposts and physical structure I can identify. Even the Broadway building in Ang Mo Kio Central has been extensive renovated and changed. So the exterior looked the same but it is very confusing and disorientating to not the find the old footpaths.

In contrast, Canada is quite static. The 401 and 403 highways stayed the same. The physical structure of the malls stayed the same for years and years even though there may be some changes in the tenants. I can refresh my memories every time I go back to Toronto.

No comments: