Monday, February 15, 2010

10 Cents More!

I know I should not be complaining but I do not understand why prices has to go up during Chinese New Year especially non-Chinese shops. You-tiao price has gone up by 10 cents or 14% more per piece. What surprises me is that my regular teh halia operated by Indian is also up by 10 cents. The roti prata shop was closed during Hari Raya (Indian Muslim) and now they are charging 10 cents more for every item on the menu. Should the Chinese shops charge 10 cents for during Deepavali or Hari Raya?

You may say it is demand and supply. If the demand go up and supply is limited since all the Chinese kopitiams are closed, then the Indian proprietor can charge more. The problem is there is hardly anyone in the shop. Maybe the choice is now limited and if you need drink or food, it is time to increase price.

Now I know not only all shops are closed during Chinese New Year, prices of roti prata in mamak stalls also go up.

No comments: