Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Mind of the Strategist

This classic is written by Kenichi Ohmae, former Managing Director of McKinsey in Japan. I think it is a coincident that the book I was reading on the way to Seoul was right on the summary of this book. It look like it is still popular in Korea in even though it was published in 1982. The Strategy formulation Ohmae propose is 3C, Customer Competition and Corporation. There is no need for perfect or big grand strategy. Once the strategy has a small advantage over competition it should be implemented. As I read on, Ohmae has a practical pragmatic approach on incremental change. It is a Rome is not built in one day philosophy or little acorns will turn to mighty oaks given time and right conditions.

The American Way is hero worship. The richest man, Bill Gates. The quickest company to reach Fortune 500, Google. Fastest to become billionaires, Sergey Brin and Larry Page founders of Google. Largest company on Earth, Walmart. All the superlative. Every American loves Superheroes.

While I enjoy reading American books and work for American company, I am glad to have traditional Asian values of thrift, hardwork and family. I am glad to read Kenichi Ohmae whose thinking is close to my heart and soul. American way is at an intellectual level.

No comments: