Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Let It Flow

I am facing this blank page for a while wondering what to write. So I decide to let it flow with words just out of my mind. I wonder if I should write about events happened today or about a book I am reading or about my trip tomorrow. So many possibilities and so hard to choose. I realise my writings are not as interesting as say Boh Tong, who has intriguing stories about SIA crews. I only writing boring stuff about books and family or my daily events.

I am also reading books to improve my writing. Most important is I am writing everyday. It is practise and more practise. I hope I got the right "practise" instead of "practice". I believe practise is a verb or the act of doing whereas practice is a noun like doctor's clinic or lawyer's office. I do not mean the physical building either. It is their professional work.

I realise many of my books start to fade or yellow very quickly. The quality of paper is atrocious nowadays. Even hardcover books which cost a premium are printed on low quality newsprint that yellow in one to two years. Maybe it is the sunlight. I put all my books on open shelves so that they can be easily seen and retrieve for reference and reading.

With the launch of e-books, so I will have plenty of books in my hard disks. I am fairly happy with the audio versions now. It is fantastic as technology advance and more tools are available. The accumulation of knowledge is increasing and learning to use the knowledge with all the different tools available will allow us to succeed.

I remember when I first run a local distribution outfit. The sales team do not know how to use a computer. This was in 1998. Today, everyone is required to use computer for all office work. Emails are ubiquitous and mandatory mean of communication. While everyone has to use email, the language skills of many have not change or improve. Hence, we have speed of communication but not clarity. So many things change and many stayed the same.

We are all heading to new and greater future. So let's us all continue forward and live a full life. Life is to be savoured.

No comments: