Friday, November 20, 2009

Reflections on Bangkok

"What do you think of Bangkok? How do you find living here?" I asked Lily. Lily is a petite single woman working for her niece. She lived in Bangkok full time for the past 7 to 8 months. "I am still getting used to it." Lily nodded. Her facial expression says culture shock and adjustments.

I am keen to understand more about Thailand and Bangkok. I had met many expats who worked in Bangkok and had fond memories. There are many books written by foreigners from the West on retiring How to Retire in Thailand. There are quite a few attraction factors. Cost of living is low and affordable, medical care is world class and inexpensive compared to Singapore, Bangkok is a vibrant city offering everything Singapore has and more.

The minus factors are language barrier, sleaze is practically at your doorstep and pollution. Outside Bangkok, the air and traffic are much better but it is boring. Maybe I can live not too far from Bangkok or live in a small city like Phuket, Chengmai for retirement and return to Singapore every six months for my teh halia fix. Actually Hatyai has teh halia, so it travel need not be too far!

Thais are very hospitable and gentle. I think it is a nice place to live but I will need to write a book when I am living there. Or I may be bored to death after a couple of days.

No comments: