Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happiness and the Good Life

Does Happiness gives the Good Life or does the Good Life gives Happiness? This is the chicken and egg question. Happiness is one who needs less than what he has. The Good Life is a Happy Family and Aspirations fulfilled.

As I reflect on this question I feel I do have a good life and have happiness. My sons and wife gave me stress from time to time. However, the ups are far more than the downs. The good life I can relate is material aspect i.e. food and shelter. The basic needs and bottom of the hierachy in Maslow's Hierachy of Needs. We are not hungry and have reasonable shelter.

How about happiness? There are many times I feel down and out at work or about life in general. I do not feel elated nowadays unlike in my youthful days. I just feel satisfied. Satisfied that my family is safe and well, satisfied I have a good job with good team, satisfied I can read, write and learn, satisfied with life in general. This satisfaction is translated into well-being and happy state.

Am I happy? Maybe the question is "Am I unhappy?". I am not unhappy. Not unhappy does not translate into happiness. I am reading Positive Psychology books and I start to think I am happy. Maybe I am just living life...

No comments: