Monday, July 20, 2009

Just Enough

This a recent book I acquired from Borders. It is a very interesting for me. The writers were a research fellow and Professor from Harvard Business School.

Why is it interesting? American media has been hero worshipping on business achievement. The pursuit of money and the quickest way to get rich. Articles are abundunt on new records. Biggest amount of money earned in the shortest possible time. The compensation for CEOs keep hitting new record highs.

This book examine the SUCCESS. Success in 4 compartments - Happiness, Achievement, Significance and Legacy. Achievement about work, career, money or in school, academic performance and in sport, championship. Achievement in school, business or career override and overwhelm the other 3 areas. As I read this book, I feel so much better about myself for not moving up in my career. Yes, I have plateau. I count my blessings in watching my kids grow up. I have time to exercise and keep fit. Although I still spend plenty of money on health and dental care.

The area I am still lacking is significance. That is community involvement. I may want to do more in this area when I retire from work...

No comments: