Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tadpoles

My pond in the front yard is full of tadpoles. This is the 2nd time we had tadpoles spawning. I believe the cycle started when B3, our baby boy caught tadpoles from the nearby field during the rainy seasons. He brought the tadpoles back to our pond and they survived to tiny toads and left their home. It seems like the toads have grown and some of them come back to spawn in the water they grew up with. It is like salmon returning to the source of river to spawn. There are probably more than 50 tadpoles in our pond right now.

B3 enjoys observing the tadpoles and playing with them. The boys from around the neighbourhood were excited to see the tadpoles too. I had some guppies recently and they have given birth to babies. So my pond is a small ecology system now. I think the water lilies helps the fry to survive.

It is very nice to have a small slice of nature in my home.

No comments: