Saturday, February 28, 2009

Geishas

I got a little glimpse of the geisha culture in Osaka last night. Dinner was a wonderful set of assorted deep fried items that is served two at a time. It is the best of slow food. Plenty of time for conversation. The oil is "healthy" and easy to digest and will not stay in the body, my host Tanaka san explains. There are 3 sticks of fresh and raw vegetable, carrot, raddish and cucumber. A side dish of wedges of raw cabbage to complement the deep fried. So the two extreme balance the whole meal.

After dinner, we go to a tiny bar for drinks. Along the way, we passed many hostesses greeting and cavassing for business. Many old Japanese women in their kimono finery and heavy make-up. I am a "gaijin" foreigner. So it was difficult for the hostess to talk to me as I know very little Japanese. Ok! I admit it. I know next to nothing except for good morning and thank you in Japanese. It is interesting experience. There are many senior Japanese businessman drunk and send off by the senior hostess. I am amaze and impressed by the fact old women in Japan are gainfully employed and earning good income entertaining old men.

It is interesting to observe that all the hostess do is listen and laugh at the jokes or anything. I also notice the hostess pays attention. I must say Japanese businessmen are lonely. I do not understand why they cannot talk to their wives about business issues or stress at work. Drinking and have a woman to listen is their way of destressing.

This hostesses are not really very pretty although they do dress up and many pass the age that would even get an interview to be a waitress in a bar in Singapore. So I must say Japan is a good place for old folks to keep working.

No comments: