Saturday, January 24, 2009

Coming, coming, coming...

No, I am not having an orgasm. It is Chinese New Year coming. Tonight is the night. The night where our wet market is open all night long. It will be last opportunity to get new year's goodies at "teow lao" price or "suicide price" in Hokkien. However, grocery items such as vegetables and fruits will be at premium price. Even more premium is roast chicken, roast duck, roast pork, braised duck, nian gow which is sold at twice the usual price in the market. This is the time where the hawker makes 40% to 50% of their annual earnings. Most hawkers will have at least one week break. Who would not? It is a well deserved rest as they work every day the rest of the year, rain or shine, holiday or not they just work and work. It is the only time where the malls are closed for two days. Commence in Singapore virtually shutdown next week.
With all the festivities and preparations, I should be busy. Instead, I am worrying about work. I will have to work on Day 2 as my boss want to speak to me. I will not get to enjoy the new year like usual. My mind and thoughts are occupied by work.
Let's me enjoy the next 3 days to "work" on my CNY preparations. I love Chinese New Year. It is a new beginning and hope. It is time to celebrate and wish everyone good wishes. It is heartening the government of Singapore is doing everything to save jobs and investing in education and training. We should be able to survive in this global crisis as a country and thrive once the economy turns around.
GONG XI FA CAI to all my readers. May the Year of Ox bring Peace, Health and Wealth to all of you.

No comments: