Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Keeping up with the Jones

We are keeping up with the Sngs and Tans. My new and shiny 42" Plasma is installed today. Sng and Tan are my neighbours. Most of my neighbours have bigger TVs than us. Even our latest is not the biggest TV in the neighbourhood. Why plasma? I have be sold by Hitachi who cited a study that more people prefer Plasma. Although in the showroom LCD TVs are far clearer and brighter, I still stick to Plasma as the picture are more realistic and there is no delay for action movies. Delays or response time will cause fast moving actions to be blurry. The Plasma is also cheaper LCD for the same size. Technology advance quickly and price keep dropping. I was convinced by LCD 4 years ago and bought a 32" for $4000. Today the same TV with better features cost below $1,000.
High tech is tough business as the life of a product is no more than 6 months. Price is expected to keep dropping and features keep increasing. A majority of my customers are in high tech and we are constantly under the gun to deliver better value.

No comments: