Monday, April 28, 2008

Why did I chose to live in Toronto?

Project 10 - Write a Story of Why you moved to a city... as suggested in the book 52 Projects.
I have never gone out of our tiny island Singapore growing up. My family is not poor i.e. we still have enough to eat every day. My mum was born in Swatow, China and immigrate to Singapore when she was 9 years old. My dad was born in Singapore. Although bus tours to Malaysia was affordable, we have never venture out. So I do not have a passport until I am working for a company for Gould HB. In fact, my passport was paid for by Gould as they have to send me to Malaysia to service medical equipment. I can vividly remember my first trip out of the country was on a rented Mercedes Benz by my boss. A few months later, I have to go to India and on business class as the trip is more than 4 hours! 24 months after my first trip out of Singapore, I have travelled to several major cities in US, Europe and Asia. I was proud that I have gone "around the world" twice. In one three weeks trips, I fly to US via the Pacific and continue to Europe via the Altantic before coming home. The President of Asia told my boss he should not be sending me globetrotting!
Within a short time, I have become a "seasoned" traveller. I visited a lot of interesting and exotic places. It is wonderful to experience different cultures. I begin to feel somewhat hollow. Living in place for a week in a hotel is not experiencing life or culture. It is a light touch like a dragonfly touching on the water. I have this strong desire to experience a different life from Singapore. In order to achieve, I tried to apply for a job oversea in my company. I talk to everyone I met when I am on my trip expressing my desire to work with them there. It dawn to me that no one from Asia is transferred to US. Only Americans come over to Singapore to work.
In order to achieve my dream of living overseas, I realise I have to immigrate like my mum has done when she was nine years old. I applied for Canada's Landed Immigrant status and was successful. I got married and together with my young wife flew to Toronto on a one-way ticket and a couple of phone numbers of people who are already in Toronto. Why Toronto? Everyone I talked to told me Toronto is the city of commerce in Canada and easiest to find a job there. Back in the eighties, there was no internet. The way to do research is through libraries and newspapers. I visit Province of Ontario office in Singapore to get their advice as well. I was surprised that the head of the office talk to me for a couple of hours encouraging me to go and live in Ontario. Why was I surprised? Because I was very young and junior and this guy who is high up on the hierarchy is giving me his time generously.
Toronto is a melting pot with whites, yellows and blacks all mixed in. The population of Chinese is huge probably the largest outside China. The Chinese foods are mainly Hong Kong and Vietnamese. There are only two resturants offering Singapore food - one in downtown and the other in Mississauga. Over time, my wife and I learn to cook Singapore food from recipes. We do miss fishballs noodles, braised duck, char kuay teow, etc. Hong Kong food is good but cannot replace our Singapore flavors. Now, I can have my home flavors anytime. It is nice to be back home to Singapore! Sweet!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its really a wanderful experience being able to pursue the dreams of oneself and having the guts to walk the road less taken.

I hope to do the same

BookLover said...

Jtsy, I am sure you will be able to fulfil your dreams. It takes persistence and endurance.