Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year Resolutions

I never understand the much talked about and publicized new year's resolutions. Why would people make resolutions to break them? How come resolutions are done on the eve of the new year?

I recalled in 1989, my colleagues and I went to Royal Holiday Inn for new year eve's get together. Mei started to talk about her resolutions and how she planned to make easy resolutions so that she will not break them. This dinner was my first exposure to new year's resolutions. Also bring out my ignorance and innocence. I have never make any resolutions before. I read about the great Ben Franklin who is a well respected and rich merchant, scientist and philosopher. Ben will study his own behaviours and pick one he did not like one at a time and work on it until it change. Using this method, he remake himself into a likeable, diplomatic person and achieve greatness.

I have tried to reduce my weight and is unsuccessful. This actually will fall into my "broken resolution" list. I wonder how it is like to resolve to be rich or successful. I prefer to keep my desires simple and few - Buddha's Way. Maybe because I am not as capable as my classmates who because VPs and MDs earning millions in annual remuneration. I am happy with my lot.

For the new year, I resolve not to make any resolutions. Let life be and flow naturally. This will be TAO.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your wt is ok what cos u ar tall..don't worry too much la.Eat less carbo and sweet stuffs would help u reduce ur wt. :)
BT.

BookLover said...

Thanks BT for your encouragement. I will continue to eat less carbo and reduce sweet. School started today. Everything will be back to routine again.