Saturday, November 10, 2007

Walk Down Memory Lane

Beach Road NCO Club used to house the Army Dental Clinic. I had my first "bridge" done by a neophyte dentist. He is a very conscientious man and pay attention to details. The whole operation take a couple of months. He has to grind two molars down to a stump. I think I took 4 to 5 trips lasting up to an hour each. My mouth would be numb for an hour everything time. The trouble is only half the mouth is anaesthesized. So I have crooked smile for the hour the anaesthesia is wearing off.

I walk along the road that I have to take bus back. Odeon Tower today was a movie theatre. There was a beef noodle stall along the Purvis Street which I never fail to stop for a meal. The only regret is I was unable to savour the flavors of this famous beef noodle as my taste buds has not returned to normal after the dental treatment. Bras Basah Complex is still the same then and today, housing all the 2nd hand bookstores.

Soon the NCO Club will be demolish to make way for spanking new buildings as the site has been sold. Another piece of landmark which my memories can hang on will be gone and I will have a hard time to recall the architecture of the building.

Never mind, I have formed new memories... Suntec City, Ngee Ann City instead of the singing Christmas Tree, Centrepoint instead of Cold Storage, Swissotel instead of Raffles Institution. We have to look forward to change and more changes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, K. Your blog topic "Walk Down Memory Lane" caught my attention. Like you, I am also a Singaporean and loves reading too.

My "Walk Down Memory Lane" phlog is at

www.phlog.net/user/thimbuktu

You can also access the site from the link at www.youngonce.net

Cheers!