Thursday, November 22, 2007

PSLE RESULTS Day

PSLE results are out today. The release is preceded by a long talk. It is high anxiety time. I was lucky to get there in time to see all the emotions. You can see there are many who are very happy and there are those who are in a state of shock. The top girl of the school cried because she is not happy with her results. She achieved 253 points. I am sure many other pupils who would love to be in her place. It is all about expectations. No matter how good you are, if you fall below your expectations, you will be unhappy.

On the other hand, if you lower your expectations, then you will be happy with the results. B2 was very happy with his results. I am too. He scored only 213 points. I am very happy because my expectations was lower. I thought he will get below 200 points.

I think living in Canada has change my perspective about education and exams. In Canada, there is a huge phobia against exams and results. The focus is on education and not results. Kids are encouraged to do sports. Sports develop team work, ability to work with others and EQ. So when B1 got his PSLE results 3 years ago, I was happy too. I was happy he was top in his class. However, he did not make to the school of our choice. So we do have regrets but not in a big way.

After reading Dr. Seuss' Oh! The Places We Go (required reading for a Leadership Retreat when I was in Canada), I know my kids will have 98.5% chance of succeeding. So why worry. Be Happy!

No comments: