Friday, August 31, 2007

The Pickwicks Papers

My favorite pastime is going to bookshop and today I was at MPH in Raffles City. There are plenty of books different from Kino. Maybe because the store is smaller and therefore is easier to see all the books. There are so many books to read and so much to learn. Peter Drucker the eminent management guru there are different ways people learn. Some learn by doing, some learn by reading, some learn writing, others by listening. I am a reader. So I guess I learn by reading. Instead of buying a not fiction book as usual, I thought I will try some different. I am not a fan of Charles Dickens. I read a lot since I was in Primary 4. I always find Dickens books a mouthful. The sentences are too long that I forgot the what it was saying in the beginning before coming to the full stop. The Pickwicks Papers was serialised and it launch Charles Dickens career as an author. It is humorous. So after so many years, I thought time to revisit my prejudice. I must admit I have a hard time understanding British humour. I am on my first chapter and I am not tickled so far. Let see if this book can hold my attention.

No comments: