Thursday, May 17, 2007

Sandy - Open Minded American

Travelling alone can be lonely especially during meal time. I was waken up by morning call. It is time to get up for breakfast before my meeting. I took the elevator down to the resturant. It is nice to have breakfast included in the room. The hostess asks "table for one?". I nodded. She ushers me to an empty table right between to white women. One of them make eye contact with me and smiled. I reciprocated. I set my papers down and pick my food. I was eating silently and observing the customers moving about. Finally I decide to break the ice and talk to her. "Are you alone? Where are you from?" She is from California and yes she is alone. It is unusual as the Americans from my office rarely travel alone to Asia. They believed in "safety in numbers" She notices my t-shirt says Toronto Maple Leafs and asked if I live in Canada. She was right, I used to live there. Now I live in the tropical island of Singapore.

Sandy is an interesting conversationist. She was in India last week and today she is going home. Sandy, I find is adventurous when it come to food. She ate at the road stalls in India and she knows the names of all the different varieties of food offered by the street vendors. I am impressed when she rattles of some of the food she ate. She is very open to tasting and trying out different food. To Sandy, refusing to try is almost rude and is like rejecting the culture. She also trained her nephew and god son to be open by bring them to a trip to Paris and not allowing them to eat in McDonald's.

Sandy reminds me of my ex-boss, Dave. Dave is adventurous. He loves durians and Indian food including curry fish head. Sandy is the 2nd American I know that is willing to try and enjoys the food in Asia. She won my admiration and respect. I am very glad to meet and know another open minded American.

No comments: