Sunday, March 18, 2007

Clams, Free Clams, A Whole Bucket Full

Two younger boys were out with me to our favorite fishing spot. There were a couple of Malays who were fishing. They use a long net to catch the fish. A middle age guy came to tell me I have the wrong trap. The trap will catch not anything. He explains that he grew up in the kampong here. Then he ask me to follow him. He showed me where all the clams were. We have to walk deeper into the woods. A city boy like me, I was not that comfortable but with him leading the way, I follow him obediently. Then he "aw png", I froze. He cross the drain and continues. He realise I did not follow him and ask what am I afraid of since he is with me. Then he told me it is just a baby. I could not see anything. He says it has went into a hole. I was worried that if it is a baby, I may meet the mama. He was not concerned at all and I jumped over and followed him. He go down to the mangrove swamp and start picking up clams. I have no idea how he can see them. He will pick one and then he tell me clams are very "pan tang" or superstitious. Once you see one, there will be a whole group of them. Through enough, everytime he digs, there are usually 5 or 6 of them. I saw a lot lying on outside and start to pick them up. He instructed me not to as those are dead and will be smelly. In less than 15 mins, he dug up a whole pail for me. He is a great guy. He justed wanted me to have the harvest from the sea.

I brought the clams home and have them cleaned up. As instructed, I soaked them with fresh water to clear the mud inside. Will let you know how they taste tomorrow.

2 comments:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Is that "see hum" U are talking abt BL? if it is my they are yummmmmyyy :)

BookLover said...

It is not the blood cockles. More like "tua tow" big head except it is rounded. My wife says they tasted ok.