Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chinese New Year Traditions

I read the article CNY traditions are fast fading among young today at http://www.asia1.com/specials/cnyspecial/ by Philip Lee. He is lamenting that the young today have a digital lifestyle and cool to the tradition of new clothes, new haircuts, greetings like "kiong hee, kiong hee" in Hokkien means congratulations, and many other examples. Today, it is happy new year, daddy.

My wife is imbuing the old traditions to our three boys. She bought new clothes, bring them to the barber, telling stories about her experience when she is at their age. It is the oral transmission of traditional values from one generation to another. She is holding the torch in inculating the family traditions. Instructions were given to the maid to clean up the house and sweep and mop tonight so that no cleaning on New Year's day.

On the other hand, I fall into Philip Lee's category of "young who no longer observes the age-old traditions". I am cool to this kind of traditions since young. I remember meeting schoolmates once about 3 decades ago. They were shocked to see that I was in an old, worn out t-shirt and a short that is fit for use as a rag. "Are you not celebrating Chinese New Year?" their eyes were questioning when they greet "Hi!". "Oh! I just live not far and is going for a jog" I lied. "See you" and off they go. I felt cool that I am breaking the tradition. So much for teenage rebellion.

The author mentioned his mum would gather all the kids and they would go to the shoes store and tailor to get their new shoes and make new clothes for the new year. My wife is doing the same with my boys.

Maybe it is not the young that is losing the traditions, it may be Mars and Venus have different values. Venus (female) observes traditions and values family, Mars (male) loves freedom and independence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just like u BL and to me everyday can be a "New Year".
The sad thing about all these festive occasions is the fall in the no. of readership of our blogs..hehehe...CNY? I'm still at my pc at 5.30am..:)
BT

BookLover said...

BT, you hit the nail on the head. I post my last entry before 7 am. Was up at 6 to surf and check out the net. It is good to take a break...Kiong Hee, Kiong Hee!