Friday, February 02, 2007

Boring Brother-in-law

I heard that my brother-in-law visited my blog and found it boring. No wonder readership has never gone up. Yes, I resolve my steely will to keep writing and writing until I can get more readers. Even if I do not get any readers, it is fine. In 1920s, Catherine Cox, a researcher studied the lives of luminaries such as Newton, Bach, Thomas Edison. One sign of genius, she noted and displayed not only by aspiring writers but also by genreals, statesmen, and scientists was a predilection for eloquently recording thoughts and feelings in diaries, poems and letters to friends and family.

Another researcher Dr. Win Wenger poses an interesting question: 'Why did these gifted men and women start keeping diaries? Was it because they knew in advance that they would be famous and wanted to leave behind a record for future historians? Was their writing simply an irrelevant by-product of a highly expressive mind - or a highly inflated eqo? Or was the scribling, in and of itself a mechanism by which people who were not born geniuses unconciously nurtured and activated a superior intellect?

Wenger favors the last interpretation and it is worth thinking about.

So even if I bore my brother-in-law, Tony, this may be the beginning of my journey to becoming a genius. Even if I did not attain genius status, my family and friends will have a legacy and diary to read.

No comments: