Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Lucky me!

After finishing The New Mind, I was looking for Daniel Pink's first book Free Agent Nation. Kinokuniya does not have it nor did Times. I doubt MPH would have it either. It is available at Amazon.com. This is getting frustrating. Why no bookstores in Singapore have any copy?! I was thinking to order it from Kino. I do not trust internet. Ya, ya! I know the Straits Times just reported US$155b sales transacted on the internet in US alone. I am not going to risk my credit card numbers getting into the wrong hand. The kiasu attitude. I call this behaviour risk avoidance. Kiasu is too demeaning and it is inappropriate anyway.

I am in KL today and Borders is five minutes walk from the hotel. As I was browsing, I chance on The New Mind triggering my memory that I was looking for the Other book. After searching futilely for half an hour (did you hear if men asks for directions, millions of hours will be saved for better use), I went to the information desk.

I ask the girl at the desk if they have a copy of Free Agent Nation by Daniel Pink. Pink as spelled as P-I-N-K. She nods her head with a dismissive "YES! I know PINK!" look. The girl types into the computer and in less than 10 seconds, she says "We do have a copy. Let me check the shelf" I followed her like a obedient dog. Her eyes move from top shelf and downward. She squats down, pull out one book to check the title, then another and third book, she hits the jackpot. Total time of search? Probably less than a minute.

So why did I spend 30 minutes looking for the book? Well, I did not exactly just look for this one book. I enjoys the treasure hunt. As I search, other interesting titles comes up. I saw Real Magic by Wayne Dyer. This is not available in Kino or Times either. There is also another book by Victor Frankl other than his classic "Man Search for Meaning". The only problem is I cannot recall the exact title for you.

So I must say it is a good evening for me at The Curve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BL...Join PayPal and pay thru' them and yr credit card would be safe...its free anyway if u are using yr c.cards to pay.

BookLover said...

BT, thanks for your suggestion. Will think of this option if I need to purchase from internet in future...