Sunday, November 19, 2006

Job or Business

It is a dilemma. People in business like to say it is better to have a job. And those with a job wants to be in business. Who is right? Henry Mintzberg writes a book on Management and says the book is written for those of us who spend our public lives dealing with organizations and our private lives escaping from them.

Why are we not satisfied with our jobs, lives or business? Why must we always looked for something different. How can we achieve Nirvana in the material world? A consummate booklover like me seeks my answers from books. There is a book titled "How to get what you want and Want what you have". Another title "Succeed at your own terms". "Get more done by doing less". These are the titles that piques my interest although I have not bought any of these books yet. I read lots of self help or motivational books. Nowaday, we can pay anyone to get their advice which used to be free through their books!

I always wonder after turning around two business from loss to profits why I am still contemplating on doing my own business. I was talking to my colleague in Thailand. I told her a lot people who work for distributors starts their own business very quickly. Her opinion is the skills of a corporate manager is not entreprenurial. It is not transferable to run one's own business. She also wonders if she makes a right decision to work for a big company. This is the golden handcuffs. It is hard to wean away from the steady income and good benefits. We put up with the frustrations of working a big organization because it is scary not to know the next paycheck. I have been conditioned by the system and social expectations. Study hard and get a good job. Work hard and get promoted.

With globalization, there is no job security. Seems like 40 years old is the magic age where one becomes obsolete in the world of employees. We must learn to make money work for us and do our own business. In US, it is celebrated to drop out of school and get rich by starting your own company. In Singapore, you will be shamed if you drop out especially if you are on scholarship. The new world is upon us now. Let's be brave. Take risks, take the plunge. Make the future happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U are right. I am fearful too. In your own business, need to get payment from clients.I realised that big clients like to delay in payment whereas suppliers and subcontractors demand payment immediately after the credit terms is overdue. Some require COD.Then also need to pay employees, understand government latest regulations. And so many things. Sometimes need to chase clients for payment. These are the risks to manage.