Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Inspired by freedom

It is rare that I am not occupied by work in the evening. Usually, I will work through late in the night doing emails. Today is Hari Raya and office is closed. Here I am in the hotel with only a few emails. I wrote an entry just now on Bandi and Luni. I just finished reading an essay on Compensation by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I bought this book in 1996 in Sydney where I was exhibiting in the World Congress of Anesthesiologist. In Sydney, Dymock is the bookstore to go to. I date the purchase date of all the books I acquired. This habit I pick up from SGT Chiam in my army days. It is useful as it help me remember how long this book is in my possession.

"Compensation" is often quoted in the self help or motivational books I read in my younger days. Stress in the office is causing me to brood over trivials. This article is excellent in lifting up my spirits. I like to take to liberty to quote some of the statements that make a lot of sense to me.

Every act rewards itself.
For every thing you have missed, you have gained something else.
Give, and it shall be given to you. He that watereth shall be watered himself. What will you have? quoth God; pay for it, and take it.
Nothing venture, nothing have.
Thou shalt be paid exactly for what thou hast done, no more, no less.
The swindler swindles himself.
Our strength grows out of our weakness.
A great man is always willing to be little.
Whilst he sits on a cushion of advantages, he goes to sleep. When he is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something.

I strongly recommend this essay to my friends and readers. It is quite dense and will take a few reads AND a dictionary by your side before appreciating the profound meanings. You will be truly rewarded.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Another new book for me to explore.

BookLover said...

sze li, I sign up multiply but cannot bring over the blogger history like you do. Need your advise.

BookLover said...

should read advice!