Saturday, October 28, 2006

Good writings

The Wee Shu Min fiasco is an eye opener for me. There lots of people who write well. Reading the commentaries as well as the blogs, I am impressed. Does one becomes more articulate when emotional? The expressions were poignant and impactful. Today, we can freely express our views in blog like this. We can also invite comments. Nobody want to read non-controvesial entry. I guess sensational news and commentaries does get attention. So does inflammatory views.

Are Shu Min's views reflective of the elite? the Gifted? From anecdotes about scholars, I believe it is more prevalent than what is visible. The meritocracy system of Singapore is similar mandarin system of ancient China. The scholars who passed the imperial examinations can expect to work for the government and be comfortable for the rest of their life. Those who are good in politics and work the system well rise in rank. So in our scholarship system, there is elite of the elites. Is this a good system? Only time will tell.

3 comments:

Boh Tong aka Luke Tan said...

Hi,good stuff posted by you and i enjoy reading them...best of luck and keep on posting.

Anonymous said...

sorry for not giving u my URL...just click on my name this time and u can see my site...thanks.

BookLover said...

Hello Boh Tong,

Thanks for your encouragement and I have visited your site as well. It is good to get the SQ stories. I fly mostly SQ.