Sunday, October 29, 2006

Backache, stiff neck and other bone issues

I sprained my back more than 20 years ago during army time. I have low back pain ever since. The pain will come and go. It can get severe. This is the time to try physiotherapy, tui na(Chinese massage), and the most effective was a master who practice chi kung. Unfortunately, the master who could relieve my pain died a few years ago. Two or three years ago, I start getting neck pain. I consulted my family physican and she order an x-ray of my neck. This is where I discover I have spurs growing in C2 and C3. The spurs were rubbing each other causing pain.

In the last 14 weeks, I have being practicing Ananda Marga Yoga. It is different from Hatha Yoga. The exercises were simple stretching and asanas are not very challenging. I find my back and neck do not bother me anymore. I can get up from squatting position easily. Anyone who has a low back problem will know what I mean. It is next to impossible to stand up from a squat position without support from bookshelf or wall or even pushing up from the floor with your arms.

Today, my movements are friskier and I can run up stairs easily. Getting out of the car is a continous fluid movement and not getting myself in the right position before standing up. I highly recommend this form of yoga to improve physical capabilities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed that lots of people hurt their backs during the army days.... I am the complete reverse. I seem to be unbreakable during my army days... and shrugged off the following:

- Slipped and fall when mounting the jacob's ladder (SOC), got my leg trapped between 2 logs... Didn't even suffer a sprain !?!

- Fall during a dash through the swinging bridge (again SOC), bashed my groin against one of the bridge's supports (real comic like), again didnt suffer anything other than a not-so-bad bruise...

- Receiving a butt stroke to the head (without helmet, wearing a jungle hat) when a friend of mine slipped and fall back a 45 degree slope in Temburing Jungle. Hurts a little, but I wasn't even dazed!

Then after I finished army, I sprained and hurt my back REAL bad while crossing a road !?!

BookLover said...

No kidding!!