Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Sleepless in Altanta

Slept at 5 pm local time and was up at 10 pm. This is the part of travel that is not so fun. The programs in the cable is not interesting. I had read the Wall Street Journal and now making tea. There is nothing outside that is open. It is me and the hotel room.

Had a meeting with Randy yesterday. I was very frank and honest with my opinion. He has his take and views as well. As he says, we agree to disagree. I guess I made my point and he agrees with that.

WSJ has an interesting article in the MarketPlace section. Headlined "The Commuter CEO", this article highlight the trend of CEO who refused to move to the company's headquarter and commute to work. The companies used their corporate jets and paid for the apartments. The companies current have commuting CEOs are ConAgra, P&G & NCR. "Some experts say that in the age of the BlackBerry, the CEO's whereabouts are increasingly irrelevant." quote from the article. I couldn't agree more. I live in Singapore for the last four years, while my office is in Kuala Lumpur. It has worked well. We have improved our business and growing both sales and profits. My management is philosophy as Jim Collins put it succinctly "Get the right people on the bus and wrong people off the bus."

With the right attitude and aptitude and clear priorities and processes, the business will run well. Time may be right to figure out a new business model for the global enterprise.

2 comments:

Li said...

U seem to have an exciting life travelling around. The only oversea office my company has so far is at Batam. Anyway, I hope to close as many sales like you. This is my priority now.

BookLover said...

SL, you will get there. You are just on the starting line. Plenty of opportunities ahead...